History

 

A Treasured Heritage

 

 

A Promising

Future

 

The land on which Antioch stands was donated by Mr. W.B. Williams in the early 1800's. The church was founded in 1831. During our early years, our church experienced many difficult times. In 1861 a tornado blew the church building completely away. A new church was erected only to be destroyed by fire in 1875. Again, God's people rebuilt in order to have a place of worship. There are few records available concerning the life of the church between 1875 and the early 1900's. We do know that in 1889, under the leadership of Brother JL Dawes, the church attendance was 63. By 1895, under the leadership of Brother Doyle, church attendance had reached 137.

Records show that in 1936, the church began a remodeling program when electric lights were installed. On August 18, 1939, lightning struck the building and again the church building was lost by fire. Once again the church rebuilt and dedicated its new facility in November of 1941. In 1960 the church voted to begin construction on a new auditiorium as soon as the building fund reached a certain figure. It was built on September 25, 1966. This is our present sanctuary and worship center. 

In April 1977, the church voted to begin construction of new kitchen facilites, dining room, activities room and gymnasium.

We are excited to announce that God has sent us a new pastor, Dr. Bill Espy.  Dr. Espy and his family, wife, Leigh Ann, children, Hannah and Clay relocated to Antioch during May 2005. We are excited and pleased to welcome Dr. Espy and his family to our church family.